Home » Technology » Storage » How to enable business transformation through flash

How to enable business transformation through flash

Tech Page One

Innovative technology at work

 

Every-so-often a technology rises up and disrupts traditional IT provision. Flash storage is one such technology, offering innovators the opportunity to do things that were simply not possible before.

Here we discuss why flash has gone mainstream, how leading CIOs are already using the technology and how your business can use flash as a platform for innovation and lasting change.

Why flash has gone mainstream?

Flash storage now mainstreamResearcher IDC says 85 per cent of businesses are now using flash as a persistent data store, with 40 per cent also using it as a non-persistent cache. Almost half of storage is on flash, and executives anticipate this total will increase during the next five years.

Flash is the new normal in storage thanks to its affordability, agility, efficiency and speed. Yet while more and more organisations are using flash, the level of flash adoption – and the way the technology is used to support business change – varies considerably.

IDC says innovators, the group with the highest flash adoption, enjoy superior business outcomes across a range of areas. Yet only 16 per cent of companies fall into the innovators category. The remaining 84 per cent of firms that are not taking full advantage of flash and risk are falling further behind.

How are innovators creating a competitive edge through flash?

Firms that have already benefited suggest all-flash arrays increase the time to the market. As many as 89 per cent of innovators believe flash allows their business to enable new services that were not previously possible.

In a data-driven age, faster delivery of new services to the customer can make a big difference in terms of success. The power of change is such that 86 per cent of executives believe flash is a strong enabler for meeting future challenges. The smartest CIOs are much more likely to use flash for customer-facing and innovation functions

In fact, flash innovators outperform laggards across every business metric. Flash innovative firms have higher revenue growth, profitability and productivity, and they also experience shorter time-to-market for new products.

How can your business benefit from flash?

The smartest CIOs already have an explicit strategy for flash. They place new applications on flash and they look to migrate existing applications, too. Laggards are some way behind, but all is not lost – slower moving firms can still take advantage of flash in order to support true digital transformation.

Researcher IDC has outlined a number of steps that companies can take in order to both evaluate and take advantage of flash. It says firms should assess their level of maturity, understand best use cases in their existing organisation and consider ways to add flash to existing storage arrays.

The end result should be a prioritised migration schedule. With three times faster performance, ultra-low latency and sub-millisecond response times, an all-flash approach to storage can help ensure mission-critical applications are super-fast and always available. Now is the time to investigate how your business can benefit from flash.

To discover more about all-flash solutions, click here.

 


 

References:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/analyst-reports/flash-technology-unlocking-innovations-shape-society.pdf

https://www.emc.com/en-gb/storage/discover-flash-storage/index.htm

 

Mark Samuels

Mark Samuels

Mark Samuels is a business journalist specialising in IT leadership issues. Formerly editor at CIO Connect and features editor of Computing, he has written for various organisations, including the Economist Intelligence Unit, Guardian Government Computing and Times Higher Education. Mark is also a contributor for CloudPro, ZDNetUK, TechRepublic, ITPro, Computer Weekly, CBR, Financial Director, Accountancy Age, Educause, Inform and CIONET. Mark has extensive experience in writing on the topic of how CIO’s use and adopt technology in business.

Latest Posts:

 

Tags: Storage, Technology